[Nix-dev] gnutls broken

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud.urkud at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 18:38:26 CET 2012

Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Hello!
>
> "Yury G.  Kudryashov" <urkud.urkud at gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> Anyway, I'd like to have guile bindings separate from the main expression
>> to avoid unneeded dependencies. Review the attached patch, please.
>
> That looks awkward to me.  I think the valid options are:
>
>   1. Turn the Guile bindings off by default (but don’t expect me to
>      encourage that ;-)).  Presumably one can also use
>      ‘packageOverrides’ and ‘.override’ to turn it on and off,
>      regardless of the default.  It would be good if Hydra could build
>      both, though.
We can have gnutls and gnutls_guile. But this means that every user who
installs gnutls_guile will have two libgnutls.so.

>   2. Write a multiple-output derivation, with the Guile bindings being a
>      separate output.
I don't like the fact that gnutls_noguile depends on guile.

Actually, I'd prefer to patch guile buildsystem to make it possible to build
guile bindings against pre-installed gnutls without such awkward patches.
--
Yury G. Kudryashov,
mailto: urkud at mccme.ru