[Nix-dev] gnutls broken

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Sat Feb 4 01:07:28 CET 2012

Hi Yury,

"Yury G.  Kudryashov" <urkud.urkud at gmail.com> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> "Yury G.  Kudryashov" <urkud.urkud at gmail.com> skribis:
>>
>>> Anyway, I'd like to have guile bindings separate from the main expression
>>> to avoid unneeded dependencies. Review the attached patch, please.
>>
>> That looks awkward to me.  I think the valid options are:
>>
>>   1. Turn the Guile bindings off by default (but don’t expect me to
>>      encourage that ;-)).  Presumably one can also use
>>      ‘packageOverrides’ and ‘.override’ to turn it on and off,
>>      regardless of the default.  It would be good if Hydra could build
>>      both, though.
> We can have gnutls and gnutls_guile. But this means that every user who
> installs gnutls_guile will have two libgnutls.so.

Again, the way this is usually done is as written above: with parameters
saying which optional features of the package should be enabled.

Would it work for you?  If not, could you help me understand why it’s
unsuitable in this case?

(In fact, I did exactly that for Inetutils:
<http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hydra-recipes.git/tree/inetutils/release.nix#n133>.)

Thanks,
Ludo’.