[Nix-dev] upgrades and new packages

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Sun Feb 5 16:40:29 CET 2012

Hi all,

I packaged up my local changes.
Can someone please be so kind to commit them for me?

normal upgrades:
ghc-mod [1]
uhc [2]
emacs-w3m [3]
v8 and node.js [4]

new packages:
i7z [5]
frandom [6]  + nixos module [7]

new nixos modules:
nvidia-optimus [8]

fixes/patches:
My mongodb upstart task hung when shutting down.
This is a workaround that turns the job into a task. [9]
Shutdown is now clean, but we lose respawn support.
Any help with this issue is welcome (I tried the different fork/daemon
settings, but no luck)

not sure about these:

[10]
I use the nginx web server as a normal user to serve static files in
my development projects.
The binary allows you to specify tmp dirs and config files at runtime,
so you can fully run it where you like.
Because of this, I think it doesn't belong in /sbin but in /bin.
Not to nitpick, but myEnvFun (which I use for every project) doesn't
include sbin dirs, so I cannot put nginx in those.

[11]
I don't know if there's a policy for licensed commercial software (of
which the binaries aren't freely downloadable),
but I packaged a nice game and I learned a bit about rpath and
binaries under nixos doing so.
The nix expression might serve as an example for similar cases,
although it's mostly put together from other packages.

Thanks!
Mathijs

[1] https://github.com/bluescreen303/nixpkgs/commit/b92520b8a5cb288c5d3522b4e4a40d80ef2e3fab
[2] https://github.com/bluescreen303/nixpkgs/commit/17ca411e1e7bd7ef294ad5b2ab5d1f68e4e60566