[Nix-dev] Nix(OS) on upcoming sprints/events

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Sun Feb 5 22:31:21 CET 2012

Hi Marc,

On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 14:57:30 +0100, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi Florian Friesdorf,
>
> I'd like to remind you that I did some alternative work which you may
> want to have a look at. Eg I solved the pygtk issue in a different way.

I had a look at it and can tell that it is a different approach. I'd
like to have simple nix expressions for every package so people can
customize them if needed and the nix-expression-generator can then be
taught to incorporate those customizations.

> A also did some initial work trying to package all python packages on
> PyPi for nixpkgs. The problems I ran into was the lack of
>   - which python version does a package need
>   - dependency information (without running python code)

It would be great to have your know-how about that! Would you be
interested to help with another approach and join us for at least a
couple of days?

> Thus it looks to me that you will have to download the packages to
> query the install scripts for dependency information.

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyPiXmlRpc claims that this is available via
pypi, but I have not tried to query that info yet.

However, I see a whitelist of packages we want to package, we download
them, checksum, generate EGG_INFO and create an expression for each
package version we want to include.

> I'll be interested in how your result will look like - and how much
> effort it'll be to maintain it.

What is needed for maintenance with your approach?

> But of course you know this all better than me. So I wish you success
> with your project - keep posting about it.

Will do!

regards
florian
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC