[Nix-dev] nixpkgs and external package databases

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Mon Feb 6 04:10:03 CET 2012

Hi,

the topic was brought already but I could not find a conclusive answer
to it - if I missed it, I would be glad if you could point me to it.

We have hackage, pypi, marmalade, cpan, ctan and probably many more -
all databases of packages for some language or tool. How do we want to
handle them?

I'm planning to create a solution for python in the way we have it for
hackage.

Do you think there is something wrong with that approach or do you have
things that I should take into account? I would like to create a
solution that is accepted for management of python packages in nixpkgs
trunk and therefore taking into account as many opinions as possible
now.

Also, if you think the way hackage is handleđ is good, a short note
would be great.

Peter or Andres, would you mind to explain the workflow and technology
used to keep haskell packages up-to-date or if you've done so already
give us a pointer to it?

regards
florian
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC