[Nix-dev] gnutls broken

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Mon Feb 6 20:00:00 CET 2012

Hi Ludo,

 > We can revisit the default to be Guile-less if it really happens to
 > make people lives brighter. ;-)

my understanding is that the Guile-part of the test suite of GNUTLS
assumes that certain local TCP ports are free, and that this assumption
may fail for all kinds of reasons. In other words, the GNUTLS build may
fail spuriously when guile support is enabled. Is that understanding
correct?

If it is, then I would prefer to Guile support disabled by default.

Generally speaking, this choice also seems to be more in line with the
way we configure other packages, i.e. many other packages (such as SVN)
provide bindings for scripting languages but have those turned off by
default.

What do you think?

Take care,
Peter