[Nix-dev] Experiences with Nvidia Optimus?

Arie Middelkoop amiddelk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 10:39:16 CET 2012

On 06-02-12 19:29, Mathijs Kwik wrote:
> However, if I load microcode during boot, the system fully hangs.

I noticed the same. At least, it then takes 10 minutes to boot.
It's apparently a known bug: the module may only be loaded after
the firmware files are available. This requirement is not unreasonable
by itself, just the effect when you don't fulfill it is not :P

> But don't worry. For now I just have it load after 10s as it's
> probably hard to debug and probably very hardware specific.

I guess that the modules in config.boot.kernelModules are loaded before
the firmware paths are set, as the latter is done by udev.
For now, I simply created an upstart task that modprobes the microcode
module after udev.

> Now if only we knew what those updates are for :)

Probably totally insignificant ;-)

Arie