[Nix-dev] nested child configurations - was: multiple full systemprofiles

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Fri Feb 10 01:12:32 CET 2012

Excerpts from Mathijs Kwik's message of Thu Feb 09 08:47:39 +0100 2012:
> Nope, that would switch to the main profile (the lean one), dropping
> out of x11 and such, when I'm currently in the "desktop" child.
> So I do need to just nixos-rebuild boot, then switch to new profile's
> child manually.
No, X should not be stopped/restarted. See implementation.

See this code:

        # Hack: skip the shutdown and control-alt-delete jobs.
        # Another hack: don't restart the X server (that would kill all the clients).
        # And don't restart dbus, since that causes ConsoleKit to
        # forget about current sessions.
        # Idem for the emergeny-shell, because its `console owner'
        # line screws up the X server.
        # Idem for xendomains because we don't want to save/restore
	# Xen domains unless we have to.
        # TODO: Jobs should be able to declare that they should not be
	# auto-restarted.
        if echo "$job" | grep -q "^shutdown$\|^control-alt-delete$\|^xserver$\|^dbus$\|^disnix$\|^emergency-shell$\|^xendomains$"; then continue; fi

  It would be too annoying.

IMHO we should replace the list by an attrset

nesting.clone = {
  with_X = ...
  network_at_home = ...
  netowrk_at_work = ...
}

Then we could introduce a way to run the configurations by name.

Marc Weber