[Nix-dev] Halting from kde, or exiting session

Arie Middelkoop amiddelk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 10:50:38 CET 2012

On 08-02-12 10:41, Arie Middelkoop wrote:
> On 07-02-12 23:44, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 11:22:19PM +0100, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
>>> since some recent update, the KDE we have does not halt anymore.
>>> Clicks to shutdown, reboot, exit, ... none work.
> Your solution does not work for me. If my problem is related, perhaps I
> should just remove my entire .kde directory.

Apparently in my case there seems to be some issue with ConsoleKit that
I have not yet found out.
KDE's session manager ksmserver ultimately executes some shutdown code
depending on which window manager is used. I'm currently using the
"auto" expression, thus what happens during shutdown is that "Stop" or
"Reboot" is send via DBus to ConsoleKit.

If I do this by hand:
 > dbus-send --system --print-reply \
 > --dest="org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit" \
 > /org/freedesktop/ConsoleKit \/Manager \
 > org.freedesktop.ConsoleKit.Manager.Restart
 > (method return sender=:1.2 -> dest=:1.22 reply_serial=2)
Nothing happens aside from "1329125469.842 type=SYSTEM_RESTART"
appearing in /var/log/ConsoleKit/history. The same when running the
command as root or as normal user, with and without the "--system"
parameter.

I've not yet found out why it's actually not doing anything. Anybody a
clue here?

As an aside, when running KDM, I found out that loading the "Login" tab
in "systemsettings" application screws up the KDM configuration in the
nix store: e.g. it sets the reboot command to /sbin/reboot (which,
obviously, does not exist).

Arie