[Nix-dev] hardware.enableAllFirmware doesn't work

Arie Middelkoop amiddelk at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 11:20:24 CET 2012

> I am guessing the way to fix this is to set meta.priority on one of
> the two packages, but I don't understand the situation well enough to
> know if that will break anything.

Hmm, I already gave it a lower priority than the default. At least, I
gave it priority number "10", which is called a low priority package by
the Nixpkgs manual.

> For now, I've worked around the problem by commenting out a few of the
> lines in
> pkgs/os-specific/linux/firmware/firmware-linux-nonfree/default.nix.
> (If it's useful, I found that commenting out linux-nonfree, bnx2,
> iwlwifi and qlogic did the trick.  It works for me because I only need
> the ralink firmware.)

linux-nonfree is apparently some Debian meta-package and can indeed be
commented out. The others do add firmware...

The problem seems to be that the Debian packages also include firmware
that is already shipped with the kernel. The default nixos kernel
configuration includes that firmware, and thus causes a collision. I
guess that the best solution would be if the firmware shipped with the
kernel would be prioritized over the firmware in the linux-nonfree
package. However, setting the priority is apparently not enough?

(I cannot reproduce the problem, because my kernel config says 'N' to
the inclusion of firmware so I don't have this collision)

Arie