[Nix-dev] powertop kernel

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Tue Feb 14 12:53:48 CET 2012

Hi,

On 13/02/12 22:24, Mathijs Kwik wrote:

> I want to do some power usage tuning for my laptop, or at least gain
> some insights into how my battery is spent.
> I understand I need the powertop tool to do this, and I found that it
> complains about some kernel config options.
>
> I found the _powertop kernel variants, which are probably what the tool needs.
>
> How are the _powertop kernels meant to be used?

Presumably by setting

  boot.kernelPackages = pkgs.linuxPackages_XXX_powertop;

in configuration.nix.

There was some inconclusive discussion about the powertop kernels here:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/nix-dev@lists.science.uu.nl/msg00784.html

If there is little overhead to the powertop kernel config compared to the
default kernel config, then feel free to merge it into the default kernel config
and get rid of the powertop kernels.