[Nix-dev] upstart ip-up event

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Wed Feb 15 07:38:54 CET 2012

Hi all,

I found that some services on my machine don't seem to start by themselves.
I tracked down the issue, and it seems it's related to the "ip-up"
event, which doesn't trigger on my machine.

Since I use wicd to configure my networking interface, I have:
enableWLAN = false;
useDHCP = false;
Because wicd takes care of both wpa supplicant and dhcp'ing the interface.

However, nixos startup scripts seem to depend on ip-up, which only
fires from the dhcpclient and networking services (dynamic and static
configuration).
This means that wicd users (and probably networkmanager users as well)
are left without ip-up.

Wicd currently already emits upstart events for pre/post (dis)connect,
so I can probably wire postconnect to ip-up.

Is this (wicd) the right place to do this? This would mean
networkmanager (and probably others) have to provide their own support
for it as well.

Thanks,
Mathijs