[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r32292 - in nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs: applications/editors/leksah applications/misc/xmobar applications/office/hledger-interest applications/version-management/darcs applications/window...

Andres Loeh ksnix at andres-loeh.de
Thu Feb 16 20:19:19 CET 2012

>  > All packages seem to depend on "Cabal" now? This means *everything*
>  > has to be rebuilt, for no apparent reason.
>
> Cabal is "null", and "null" is filtered from buildDepends, so -- unless
> I am very mistaken -- nothing has changed, really, and there should be
> no re-builds. That change only makes a difference when "Cabal" is
> overridden to something other than the version that's shipped with the
> compiler by default.

I hadn't seen it at the time. And I was getting lots of rebuilds,
therefore I started checking, but perhaps there was a different
reason.

> My motivation for that change is that I would like to have the ability
> to run builds with old versions of GHC but recent versions of the Cabal
> library. Since "cabal-install" can do that, I figured we should be able
> to do it, too.
>
> I am sorry for having surprised you with that commit. I tried to explain
> my reasons in the commit message, but apparently I didn't get the point
> across very well.

As I said on github, I think I'd be happy if we'd move it to the cabal
function, because "morally", the Cabal dependency is different from
all the others.

Cheers,
  Andres