[Nix-dev] Nix(OS) on upcoming sprints/events

Cillian de Róiste cillian.deroiste at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 10:18:53 CET 2012

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM, Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jan 2012 14:37:02 +0100, Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net> wrote:
>> (..)
>> My goals would be:
>>
>> - achieving pureness for python packages
>
> Attached is a patchset to achieve pureness for python packages and
> handle dependencies via pth files. While I'm still working on some
> issues it would be great to get feedback on it.
>
> @Cillian: I used your distutils.cfg idea to create a offline version of
> distutils used only during installations. An installed setuptools is
> then able again to download things.
>
> Also available via github:
> https://github.com/chaoflow/nixpkgs/tree/python

This looks great!

I have one question about:
0002-pth-file-with-deps-only-current-package-s-scripts-no.patch

If you remove a package does
$out/lib/${python.libPrefix}/site-packages/"{easy-install.pth,${name}.pth}
get left behind?

My understanding of Nix is still a little hazy, but I wonder if
${python.libPrefix}/site-packages should be managed by Nix (maybe it
is already?). Every time a new python package is installed a new
output for site-packages could be created in the store which contains
the relevant .pth files for all the installed modules.

Perhaps I have misunderstood .. is that already taken care of?

Cheers,
Cillian