[Nix-dev] Nix(OS) on upcoming sprints/events

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Sat Feb 18 15:55:14 CET 2012

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 10:18:53 +0100, Cillian de Róiste <cillian.deroiste at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Also available via github:
> > https://github.com/chaoflow/nixpkgs/tree/python
>
> This looks great!
>
> I have one question about:
> 0002-pth-file-with-deps-only-current-package-s-scripts-no.patch
>
> If you remove a package does
> $out/lib/${python.libPrefix}/site-packages/"{easy-install.pth,${name}.pth}
> get left behind?

$out is pointing eg to /nix/store/k5ni66psqxk4hv01vh41vk8bbwqfidcf-python-mechanize-0.1.11

There is no common site-packages, where things could be left behind.

> My understanding of Nix is still a little hazy, but I wonder if
> ${python.libPrefix}/site-packages should be managed by Nix (maybe it
> is already?). Every time a new python package is installed a new
> output for site-packages could be created in the store which contains
> the relevant .pth files for all the installed modules.
>
> Perhaps I have misunderstood .. is that already taken care of?

That's exactly what is happening. Every package has it's own
site-packages, containing whatever code the package provides itself and
a pth file pointing to its own code and the store locations of
dependencies.

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC