[Nix-dev] Nix(OS) on upcoming sprints/events

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Sat Feb 18 16:22:08 CET 2012

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 16:17:26 +0100, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
> Excerpts from Florian Friesdorf's message of Sat Feb 18 00:46:01 +0100 2012:
> > Attached is a patchset to achieve pureness for python packages and
> > handle dependencies via pth files.
> Can you describe what you mean by "handling dependencies using pth
> files'?
>
> My (probably limiting) understanding of .pth files was that it its a way
> to add additional subdirectories to sys.path and that PYTHONPATH is
> likely to miss interpreting them. (I may be wrong about that).
>
> So do you use .pth files to achieve something similar to rpath? or what
> are you doing?
>
> Thus if you have this dependency chain:
> A -> B -> C
>
> will it be enough to install A into your ~/.nix-profile and B and C
> python files will be found automatically without putting them into
> ~/.nix-profile/..../python-sites or such?

Yes - that is what is happening, if you include the packages site.py,
that processes pth files in all PYTHONPATH components. Have a look at my
patches, there are a lot of comments.

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC