[Nix-dev] nixos and nixpkgs repos on github

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Feb 18 16:23:26 CET 2012

Excerpts from Florian Friesdorf's message of Sat Feb 18 16:06:06 +0100 2012:
> How does your authors.txt differ from maintainers.nix?
authors.txt is used to rewrite svn user names to emails (which git
requires). I never compared both. I just took the file from someone else
in the past adding missing email entries.

But that's not the point - I think we should all base our branches on
the same git repo sharing history - that's why I offer access to my SSH
account so that people can push and share their ideas.

I hesitated moving to github because all "forks" would contain "froked
from" info - and I didn't want to look like the "initial author" of
nixpkgs - because I'm not. That's why I hesitated from uploading to
github. But its a fact that at least some (if not the majority) would
prefer using git for various reasons (even though some users could also
imagine using other tools such as monotone, fossil or mercurial).

So I appreciate this (unofficial) step - just want to coordinate that
this doesn't happen over and over again.

Marc Weber