[Nix-dev] Contributions for nixpkgs

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Mon Feb 20 00:17:42 CET 2012

Hi all,

I have some more stuff to share.
For 2 patches, I would like Eelco's approval (see 0005 and 0011 below).
After that's decided, will someone please be so kind to commit these to svn?

Few notes about these patches:

0001:
To get rid of double dhclient processes, I switched networking.useDHCP = false;
This had the unfortunate effect that upstart's "ip-up" event no longer
triggered.
So I added that to wicd as well. Probably networkmanager will need
something similar, but I'm not familiar with that.

0002: needed for livecd

0005 and 0011:
Most commits in this batch had to do with adding blu-ray video support.
I bought my first bluray box set, only to find out playing it is still
a mayor problem, even on windows.
After these patches I can now successfully watch it.

As this is always a somewhat shady area because of patents, drm and
other stuff that reminds me of Herr Flick, I did some research into
what other distributions do and what is acceptable in most countries.

vlc 2.0 is capable of playing dvds using libbluray.
libbluray itself is harmless and deals with filenames and menu's/tracks.
libaacs is comparable to libdvdcss, which nixpkgs includes.
See http://www.videolan.org/legal.html too.
They don't include any decryption keys or other stuff that might
infringe. EU law allows these libraries, but US laws can cause trouble
with anything that can be used to circumvent copyrights.
That being said: ubuntu and arch linux host libaacs in their main
official repo's and nix does so too for libdvdcss.
I chose to disable libaacs support in libbluray by default, mainly
because it depends on java during build.

But to play commercial bluray disks, you need decryption keys.
EU law (and probably some US states) allows circumvention when it
serves interoperability, but no distributions go as far to distribute
keys. Their forums and wikis do mention where to get those keys and
how to use them. So I included a comment too, pointing to Arch's wiki
and some other useful page. I am not a lawyer, but I think this
linking is still ok :)

Finally, patch 0011 is a tool that can extract keys from disks by
guessing based on the device key and some other tricks. it does not
have an official site (hosted from doom9's forum). License and legal
status are somewhat unclear.
Arch linux keeps it in its AUR repo, which is user-provided/non official.
Debian has it too, in debian-multimedia. Which is an unofficial (but
well maintained) repo they use for software that might be covered by
patents, which should still be usable for europeans.

All in all, as nixos is hosted in NL, I'm pretty sure none of these
should pose any issues, but maybe we need to put some warning in place
for US users. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mathijs