[Nix-dev] unifying networking related triggers

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Mon Feb 20 16:29:38 CET 2012

Hi,

On 20/02/12 13:56, Mathijs Kwik wrote:

> In recent commits, I saw that ifplugd got cleaned up a bit and now has
> configurable commands to execute when connected.

Hopefully ifplugd will become unnecessary, since dhcpcd detects link status
changes itself.

> On top of the physical connection, there are choices for setting the
> ip address: dhclient, the new dhcpcd, static, or through
> wicd/NetworkManager.

FWIW, I hope to drop dhclient if dhcpcd works well (which seems to be the case).

> Then after an ip address is assigned, some services need to (re)start.
>
> I think we should decide on a unified way to handle these stages, so
> the components can be swapped easily.
> Personally, I would prefer to plug stuff together using upstart
> triggers (or someday systemd)

+1

> ip-up: (iface name, ESSID)
> interface fully configured

The dhcpcd exit hook now emits ip-up/ip-down events with IFACE=name.

> ip-stopping (iface name, ESSID)
> interface requests to go down (is still up), shutdown/goodbye gracefully

These "stopping" events are a bit hard to do since we won't know in advance if
we're losing a connection or DHCP lease.