[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r32480 - in nixos/trunk: . lib

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Thu Feb 23 02:42:49 CET 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 10:28 PM, Shea Levy <shea at shealevy.com> wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> On 2/22/12 3:28 PM, Peter Simons wrote:
>> Author: simons
>> Date: Wed Feb 22 20:28:57 2012
>> New Revision: 32480
>>
>> Log:
>> split release.nix into helpers and the jobs themselves
>>
>> this allows for external use of the helpers, for example to build custom cds without editing release.nix
>
> You shouldn't be using release.nix or its helpers to build custom cds in
> the first place. See
> http://hydra.nixos.org/build/2120544/download/1/nixos/manual.html#id430252
> for the recommended method. I'm not sure why this commit is helpful.

I'm sorry, this was my commit, Peter just applied it to svn for me.

The wiki told me that the entry points for live cds were at release.nix.
http://nixos.org/wiki/Creating_a_Nix_OS_live_CD

It doesn't explicitly state that you should hook in there, but it
doesn't provide the explanation that the manual page you pointed to
gives.

As I didn't like modifying in-repo files for my own custom changes, I
came up with splitting release.nix

Feel free to revert that commit. I can probably manage things the
proper way now I know about that.

Sorry for causing trouble,
Mathijs