[Nix-dev] Merging the stdenv branch

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Thu Feb 23 09:49:30 CET 2012

I wanted to fix gw6c for the stdenv branch (by replacing it with
gogoclient, which is the maintained fork of gw6c).

However, I run into a few issues when building my system from stdenv
branch, and they are not in your problem-list:
They seem to be related to using a 3.2 kernel. For some packages, I
need to create symlinks from 3.2 (and probably 3.1, 3.3 and every
future 3.x) to 2.6 build files/dirs. The nss package for example.

Other packages fail indirectly too.
For example kdeadmin cannot find pykde4 (which itself built fine) and
bails out with an error about DLFCN. I tracked it down and found this:
http://forums.funtoo.org/viewtopic.php?id=674
There too, it boils down to python not being able to handle 3.x kernel
major/minor change.
Gentoo has a workaround that just copies linux-2 to linux-3 for python.
I haven't tried it (it will take all day to build everything on top of
that again) yet.

I know the official kernel is still 2.6.35, but I'm sure a lot of
users use 3.0+.
Please test building the stdenv-upgrade branch with a 3.x kernel
before merging it to trunk. It will reveal more problematic packages
to add to the list that make you want to postpone merging it a bit.

Mathijs