[Nix-dev] Python's hashlib lacks support for RIPEM160 because it's configured w/o openssl

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Fri Feb 24 17:43:35 CET 2012

For completeness sake:

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 05:36:05 +0100, Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net> wrote:
> > Does anyone have another suggestion?
>
> With help from #python:
>
> We need the openssl headers available during build for socket and hmac
> to be openssl aware. We could then remove the ssl module / prevent it
> From being installed and have the separately packaged ssl module pull in
> openssl as a run-time dependency.
>
> Do we have the concept of build-time vs runtime dependency, i.e. that
> python has the openssl headers available during build, but when
> installing python from hydra, it won't fetch openssl?

We do not have an explicit difference between runtime and build time
dependency. Instead nix will scan the package's files for hashes of
other packages - e.g. hardcoded library paths in elf executables or
libraries - and adds these as runtime dependency.

> If we have that, what reason do we have not to include openssl in
> python's buildInputs?

For python and openssl this means that python now has a runtime
dependency on openssl because _ssl.so needs it - not saying this is
good/bad.

thx Andres! If my explanation contains errors, they were introduced by
me and are not at all due to wrong explanation by Andres.
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC