[Nix-dev] donating through hydra

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Tue Feb 28 07:40:34 CET 2012

On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 06:12:00 +0100, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
> Excerpts from Florian Friesdorf's message of Tue Feb 28 05:55:56 +0100 2012:
> > I'm thinking to donate to the nix community by renting a server and
> > setting up hydra on it.
> Writing down my thougts while reading it:
>
> And then? Do the same as current buildfarm does? Duplicate work by
> building subversion revisions?

Eelco wrote recently, that the current approach reached a limit. Maybe
working with more branches containing fewer changes and distributing the
build load to different hydras could work.

At this point I'm interested in how much work is involved in setting up
and maintaining hydra and what resources hydra currently has which we
drive to a limit.

> Or be a "slave" of the official buildfarm (in which case all users have
> to trust your server as well?)

I'm not sure of the powers of 'nix-store --verify-path', but so far I
was under the (wrong) impression, that nix has methods that do not
require trust into the build farm (provider).

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC