[Nix-dev] [nix-dev] svn sasl support

Sergey Mironov ierton at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 21:37:09 CET 2012

2012/1/16 Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric at viric.name>

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 01:06:33AM +0400, Sergey Mironov wrote:
> > What should I write to override this setting? Could you please give me an
> > example (sorry, my nix-skill is still weak)? Or maybe should we write
> > something like this:
> >
> >   subversion = callPackage
> > ../applications/version-management/subversion/default.nix {
> >     neon = pkgs.neon029;
> >     saslSupport = getConfig [ "subversion" "saslSupport" ] false;
> >   };
>
> If you write that saslSupport with getConfig, in your ~/.nixpkgs/config.nix,
> write:
> {
>    subversion.saslSupport = true;
> }
>
> Otherwise, you'll have to go like:
> { pkgs, ... }:
> {
>    packageOverrides = pkgs: {
>        subversion = pkgs.subversion.override {
>            saslSupport = true;
>        };
>    };
> }

Thanks, didn't know about packageOverwrides. So both methods work, but
which one is better? I think that in theory, first method is better
because it is easier for end-user to find and set. But it forces
programmer to write boilerplate code, and this is not good. I expected
to see a facility that can mark option (saslSupport in this case) as
tweakable by enduser.. but do it inside nixpkgs, not inside nixos, to
keep it usable for those who use nix-env with other OS..