[Nix-dev] Updating emacs-snapshot package

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Thu Jan 19 10:30:51 CET 2012

On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 19:30:25 -0500, Shea Levy <shea at shealevy.com> wrote:
> On 1/17/12 7:22 PM, Phil Hagelberg wrote:
> > Is it just discouraged to package prerelease versions of software in
> > general? If it's merely a question of stability then it shouldn't be a
> > problem; the Emacs 24 pretest is very stable.
>
> I don't set the policies, but my thought would be: If there's a
> significant reason (new feature, important bug fixes, vastly improved
> performance, etc.) that all users of the package might benefit from a
> prerelease, then package it, otherwise wait for the official release.
> I'm not an emacs user, so I don't know what's different in the
> prerelease version, but if there's a good reason I or someone else can
> update the snapshot version in nixpkgs.

I'm using emacs and I'd also like to see prerelease versions of 24 in
nix:
- it's claimed to be very stable
- easier to adapt config to changes
- test addons (org and notmuch in my case)
- integrated package manager
- improved themeing

By having prerelease versions of soon to be stable software in nix, we
support people who provide addons or config in adapting them.

I would not do it for every software we have in nix, but as long as
there is one person actually using the prerelease and therefore updating
in case of bugs, I think we should have it. That said, I'm happy to use
and help in maintainting the prerelease expression.

@Phil: btw. thank you for your great starter kit!

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC