[Nix-dev] Dropping --with-gallium-drivers=i965 from mesa (was: Experiences with Nvidia Optimus?)

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Fri Jan 20 19:17:25 CET 2012

Hi guys,

 > In a recent mesa upgrade, someone enabled the experimental gallium3d
 > driver for our i965-based cards. [...] Intel's open-source driver has
 > full support for 3d already, and intel stated they are not
 > interrested in maintaining a second implementation. I don't know
 > about i915, but i965's gallium driver rotted to the state that it was
 > thrown out of mesa trunk in november 2011 [1]. Taking i965 out fixed
 > my issues, and all is well again, with acceleration and 3d.
 >
 > I attached a patch (2 commits), the first commit upgrades dri2proto
 > so the intel 2_17_0 driver (which is already in nix) compiles. The
 > second commit removed i965 gallium from mesa.

updating mesa causes significant re-builds, so we should wait a couple
of days to give everyone a chance to express his or her concerns about
that change.

Personally, I don't need Gallium i965 support, so if disabling that
feature improves matters for the Intel cards, then I am in favor of
applying those patches.

Take care,
Peter