[Nix-dev] best process for building from source under development?

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Sun Mar 4 06:48:25 CET 2012

On Sat, 3 Mar 2012 14:39:26 -0800, "Corey O'Connor" <coreyoconnor at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2012/3/3 Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viric at viric.name>:
> > No no. You need the webEnv in packageOverrides, better. Then "nix-env -qa" will see
> > it.
>
> Even better! This is almost perfect. Thanks!
>
> >> Which then add a .nix-profile/dev-env directory.
> >> I am not sure if there is just a "rebuild .nix-profile" command.
> >> nixos-rebuild appears to only rebuild the system profile.
> > You can use "nix-env -u \*" too, that may be close to what you mean by rebuild.
>
> It is.

and maybe:

nix-env -q \* |xargs nix-env -i

This will also update if a newer version of a dependency is available,
not only for new versions of directly installed packages.

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC