[Nix-dev] How to handle the inclusion of binary in GHC stdlib?

Corey O'Connor coreyoconnor at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 20:07:30 CET 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Andres Loeh <ksnix at andres-loeh.de> wrote:
> Hi.
>
>> Starting with GHC 7.2 the binary package has been included in the
>> standard library. The same binary package is still available from
>> hackage as well. If a haskell library is build via nix then the binary
>> package *from hackage* will be used. This not as expected. I'd expect
>> the package to use the standard library version by default.
>
> I don't see why it's a big problem in practice, but we've been
> preferring GHC packages elsewhere, so I've tried to fix this.

One issue I ran into was with some haskell code compiled via Cabal
that I was doing development work on. While the package I was
developing did not directly depend on binary it indirectly depended on
two different versions of binary. I think the end cause was
binary-builder depended on the internal binary and hashed-storage
depended on the binary from hackage.

Thanks!
Corey