[Nix-dev] glib-2.30 again

Rob Vermaas rob.vermaas at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 16:35:50 CET 2012

Hi,

> I've asked to add glib-2.30-take2 branch to hydra 3 times. When I asked on
> IRC, Rob asked me if I've already defined a small subset of packages to
> build. First, I never been told to do it.

Me mentioning that was me telling you.

> Second, it makes no sense to build only a few packages on glib upgrade.
> Every package that depends on glib may fail. A few packages that do not
> depend on glib will add no overhead to hydra since their builds will be
> cached from the trunk jobset.
>
> So, I ask again. Could you please add this branch to hydra?

Yes it is possible, and I might have time later today to add it.

The 'policy' is as follows:
 - hydra.nixos.org and specifically running a nixpkgs branch in hydra
is a privilege, not a right
 - hydra.nixos.org is shared by many projects, so keep footprint (e.g.
nr of builds) as low as possible
 - therefore we prefer a small subset of build to be defined
 - however if this is not possible, because you are working on a high
impact change, you can use the normal set of packages to be built
 - try not merge trunk changes in daily

Cheers,
Rob

--