[Nix-dev] uefi booting on nixos

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Sat Mar 17 14:40:43 CET 2012

Hi Mathijs,

It's not totally complete. In particular, the installRemovableMediaImage
option installs an EFI program that is a) really hacky and b) depends on
protocols not available on every firmware (though when they're not
available the boot fails with no bad effects). I'm working with the
kernel devs to ameliorate the problem that necessitated the hack in the
first place. I also need to do more extensive testing, especially on the
macbook pro. That being said, I have been using it exclusively on my
desktop for the past week or so with several successful rebuilds, so
there's that. If you do want to try it out, I recommend trying the
latest ISO from http://hydra.nixos.org/job/nixos/trunk/iso_efi but if it
doesn't boot in EFI mode boot it in BIOS mode for the install then, if
your system supports efibootmgr, re-run switch-to-configuration after
booting into the built system to install the boot manager entries.

Let me know if you have any problems.

Cheers,
Shea