[Nix-dev] reviewboard

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Mar 17 18:28:17 CET 2012

Does anybody mind me uploading nixos/nixpkgs git repos to github then as
"unofficial mirror"?

I feel that working around the problems of SVN gets too annoying to
contributors.

I'd add comments such as:

  "This are unofficial git mirrors of the SVN repositories. syncing breaks
  if new SVN members create commits. Ping MarcWeber on irc to make him
  update the authors.txt file in that case. Happy patch sharing"

This would
  - shut up all people (like me :) asking for git all the time
  - stop people announcing yet another git mirror of nixos/nixpkgs
  - allow code sharing on github

Patches can still be "squashed" using git and fed upstream to SVN.

I'm willing to grant more people to my SSH account which does the
syncing - so that breakage which may happen can be fixed faster.

Somebody would have to create those repos and grant me access to those
github nixos/nixpkgs repos then otherwise I could only upload them to my
personal github page which would feel bad to me - because I want
nixos/{nixos.nixpkgs} to be the origin of all forks which will happen.

Let me know what you think. Also more insight about why moving
nixos/nixpkgs to git is delayed would be very appreciated.

If more work needs to be done talk about it - so that people (like me)
can help fix and test the changes.

github provides review boards for free and almost all people have github
accounts anyway.

my 2 cents
Marc Weber