[Nix-dev] reviewboard

Corey O'Connor coreyoconnor at gmail.com
Sun Mar 18 18:01:53 CET 2012

2012/3/18 Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org>:
> Hi,
>
> "Yury G.  Kudryashov" <urkud.urkud at gmail.com> skribis:
>
>> http://reviewboard.org
>
> FWIW, a “web-based code review tool” is never going to be powerful for
> me: using a web server puts me on the slow path.
>
> I would recommend keeping using email for that.  In addition, Debbugs
> could be used to keep track of bugs and patches.  It has an email
> interface, a web interface, and an Emacs interface, which makes it
> really convenient.

Patches submitted by email to the list get lost. Which is why I'm
pushing for something, anything really, that assures submitted patches
do not disappear. Relying only on submission to an email list has
never proved effective for me.

How a patch appears to get "lost": The patch is submitted; No comments
occur; The email containing the patch is pushed down by newer emails;
Nobody bothers to check for patches in old emails.

IMO, use of git avoids some problems just by being distributed. The
patches can be recorded to many repositories even if the submitting
user does not have access to the master repository.

-Corey O'Connor
coreyoconnor at gmail.com
http://corebotllc.com/