[Nix-dev] glib-2.30 merge

Michael Raskin 7c6f434c at mail.ru
Sun Mar 25 16:50:50 CEST 2012

>> Does that branch imply a change of gtk to gtk3 too?
>gtk-2.x and gtk-3.x can be installed side-by-side. I've started
>gtk-3.x/gnome-3.x packaging, but this does not imply any changes for
>gnome-2/gtk-2.
>> And for webkit?
>Michael?

WebKit is like FireFox a year ago: there is only latest and greatest.

Any update to WebKit requires Gail3, which is normally a part of GTK3.

Midori was easy to fix with WebKit-GTK3, Uzbl too; Vimperator seems to
check for GTK2 in pkgconfig (didn't check if overriding this is enough).

There is also another problem with WebKit: they now rely on Gnome
settings schemas being in standard locations or somewhere in a directory
mentioned in XDG_DATA_DIRS. Wrapping the WebKit-using applications will
likely work, but it is per-package solution. It does look like at least
chromium understands that this is a bug and fixes it, so maybe there is
a hope that future WebKits will be better.

Maybe renaming the latest-stable WebKit to webkit_gtk3, reinstating the
latest webkit_gtk2 as fixed by Lluis and changing midori and uzbl to use
webkit_gtk3 and set environment variables for now is the way to go.