[Nix-dev] [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r33428 - in nixpkgs/branches/kmod-MODULE_DIR/pkgs: applications/virtualization/virtualbox applications/virtualization/virtualbox/guest-additions build-support/kernel os-specific/l...

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud.urkud at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 17:28:54 CEST 2012

Shea Levy wrote:

> On 03/26/2012 11:15 AM, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:
>> We'll maintain /lib/modules/modversion symlink instead. This way both
>> module-init-tools and libkmod will work without patches.
>
> I really don't like this approach. Given that the kmod tools accept a
> --dirname=DIR option that allows you to point to the modules directory,
> why add this additional impurity?

This way we're closer to what upstream supports.

Why do you consider this to be an impurity? You can't have two kernels
running at the same time anyway. And if you want to load a module from
another directory, use `-d` or `insmod`.

Eelco Dolstra wrote:
> I dislike introducing a /lib/modules.  What was wrong with using an
> environment variable to point at the modules tree?

E.g., next udev version relies on libkmod (not `modprobe`) to load modules.
This way we can switch a symlink on nixos-rebuild switch. Any ideas how to
do it with env var?
--
Yury G. Kudryashov,
mailto: urkud at mccme.ru