[Nix-dev] Debugging nixpkgs

Konrad Hinsen konrad.hinsen at fastmail.net
Thu Mar 29 13:46:43 CEST 2012

Konrad Hinsen writes:

 > While trying to build some derivations for MacOSX, I hit a problem
 > which I think is a bug in nixpkgs and which moreover I think I know
 > how to fix. How would I best go about debugging this? Can I just
 > copy the source code somewhere, modify some files, and then test-build
 > and test-run with that modified version? Do I risk messing up my
 > installation that way? I don't quite see yet how modifying the
 > source code of nixpkgs fits into the "nothing ever changes" view
 > of Nix.

I would still like to see comments on this issue. I understand that most of you
are working on improving nixpkgs. What's your setup? A checkout of the SVN
source code on which you work? Do you keep different profiles for the release
version and your personal working copy? Or is it safe to mix both in a single
profile?

Konrad.