[Nix-dev] Two approaches to kmod migration

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Fri Mar 30 06:55:17 CEST 2012

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 21:57:22 +0200, Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> wrote:
> Hi Yury,
>
> I don't understand all the fine details of this issue, so please take my
> comments with a grain of salt.
>
> I agree with you that the introduction of a $MODULE_DIR variable seems
> pointless. I don't see what the purpose of that variable might be. The
> module path is inherently bound to the currently running kernel, so it's
> fine to have modules located underneath /var/run/current-system, and
> that's it. If the active system is switched, then the module path
> changes transparently, too. The kernel may or may not be able to use
> those new modules, but worrying about that is the responsibility of the
> system administrator, IMHO.

I see here the danger that 'nixos-rebuild switch' switches to a new
kernel and now the old (still running) kernel will be faced with modules
from the new kernel until a reboot happens. I'm not sure whether I
understand the problem or whether it is a good idea to continue using a
system that was switched to a new kernel but has not been rebooted yet -
however, I would expect "nixos-rebuild switch" to tell me whether I
should reboot or not.

--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC