[Nix-dev] What kills my xserver?

Arie Middelkoop amiddelk at gmail.com
Fri May 11 10:52:34 CEST 2012

On 11/05/12 08:24, Michael Raskin wrote:
>> For me, I can still logout 90% of the time, loging out takes long (10
>> seconds or so) and it seems to crash the xserver at the end (display
>> flashing, second of text console visible), but then I'm back at the
>> kdm login screen where I can shutdown/reboot gracefully.
>
> I am not sure it is actually crashing X server. X server loves to run in
> the mode where it is shut down once the session dies.

Oh, I'm pretty sure that Mathijs and I have the same symptoms. I can
also logout, but I'm too impatient to wait ten seconds ;-)

And yes, KDM is supposed to shutdown the X server (that's enabled in the
kdmrc). However, the problem is that KDM notices that the server is
already gone before it gets to that point, and subsequently sleeps 10
seconds (there is a sleep(10) in the error handler) and then aborts the
shutdown.

I'm used to shutting down my laptop, because I used to have a problem
with skype after suspend (does not show up anymore lately), but also
often cannot use my wireless until after I turned the machine off (cold
restart). The latter still requires me to shutdown my machine rather
regularly...

Arie