[Nix-dev] grub and child configurations

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Thu May 17 11:17:26 CEST 2012

Hi all,

I noticed grub now complains if the device isn't set.
I'm using the 'nesting.children' option to have 1 system build
everything for all my machines, then nix-copy-closure the system
derivations to them. After that, running nixos-rebuild on any of them
is very fast, as everything is already there.

However, this now produces an error, because nesting forces grub
devices to undefined.

What would be the best fix for this?

Either nesting options should just fully disable grub for child
configurations, or we should postpone the assertion till grub-install
time just for these cases by having some grub.ignoreMissingDevices
setting.

Does anyone have a preference?

Mathijs