[Nix-dev] xen host

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Thu May 17 18:09:43 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 17/05/12 10:10, Marco Maggesi wrote:

> My understanding was that Xen were actively employed by the Xen
> developers, at least at a give time in the past
> Is it still true?

I guess you mean "by the NixOS developers".  We did run a Xen machine until
recently ("mrhankey" if you're looking for the config).  However, I stopped
using Xen because libvirt + QEMU/KVM is, IMHO, simpler and works just as well.
("Simpler" because a KVM VM is just a normal user process, and you don't need to
run a non-default kernel on the host.)  Example machine:

  https://nixos.org/repos/nix/configurations/trunk/tud/stan.nix

It would be great to have Xen working again, though.  From what I understand,
Linux 3.0 and higher can run as Dom0, so you can probably get rid of the
2.6.32-xen kernel.  The kernel will probably need some configuration options to
enable Dom0 support though.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://www.st.ewi.tudelft.nl/~dolstra/