[Nix-dev] commercial license

Mathijs Kwik mathijs at bluescreen303.nl
Sun Nov 18 01:21:46 CET 2012

Hi all,

I'm packaging some software that is distributed under a commercial license.
The software itself is publicly available from the author's website,
no need to log in or accept anything there.
After installation, only a small part is usable, but by entering a
(demo) license key, the rest can be enabled without additional
downloading/installing.

During installation though, the installer makes you accept their license terms.
There is an unattended/non-graphical installation option, so I'm able
to have nix build and package everything.
However, this means the unattended-install-options file needs to
contain some "I accept the license" field, which I don't think I
should set if I want to include this in nixpkgs.

What's the best way to deal with something like this?
An option that came to mind is using a nixpkgs config option to accept
the license.
An assertion in the nix expression will make sure nothing gets
downloaded/built on systems that haven't explicitly accepted the
license by enabling that option (such as hydra).

Would that be ok? Or are there better options available for handling this?

Thanks,
Mathijs