[Nix-dev] (kde 4.8): knofity4 PID: 21830 Signal: Segmentation fault (11)

Joachim Schiele js at lastlog.de
Sun Nov 18 21:31:49 CET 2012

some news about this issue:

as described in [1]
   grep -i notif .xsession-errors
plasma-desktop(3192)/plasma StatusNotifierItemSource::refreshCallback:
DBusMenu disabled for this application
plasma-desktop(3192)/plasma StatusNotifierItemSource::refreshCallback:
DBusMenu disabled for this application
plasma-desktop(3192)/plasma StatusNotifierItemSource::refreshCallback:
DBusMenu disabled for this application
kded(3107)/kdeui (KNotification) KNotification::slotReceivedIdError:
Error while contacting notify daemon "Message did not receive a reply
(timeout by message bus)"
kwin(3172)/kdeui (KNotification) KNotification::slotReceivedIdError:
Error while contacting notify daemon "Message did not receive a reply
(timeout by message bus)"
kwin(3172)/kdeui (KNotification) KNotification::slotReceivedIdError:
Error while contacting notify daemon "Message did not receive a reply
(timeout by message bus)"
kwin(3172)/kdeui (KNotification) KNotification::slotReceivedIdError:
Error while contacting notify daemon "Message did not receive a reply
(timeout by message bus)"
kwin(3172)/kdeui (KNotification) KNotification::slotReceivedIdError:
Error while contacting notify daemon "Message did not receive a reply
(timeout by message bus)"
kwin(3172)/kdeui (KNotification) KNotification::slotReceivedIdError:
Error while contacting notify daemon "Message did not receive a reply
(timeout by message bus)"

shows the same messages as described in [1]. i then used
'systemsettings' - 'application and system notifications' - tab 'player
settings' and there i set it to 'no audio output'. right now that is the
best solution for me.

it seems that the audio backend of kde is not configured properly -> in
systemsettings i get this messages (when started from a shell) when
accessing: multimedia - phonon

systemsettings(18396)/kdecore (KLibrary) findLibraryInternal: plugins
should not have a 'lib' prefix: "libaudiocd_encoder_lame.so"
systemsettings(18396)/kdecore (KLibrary) findLibraryInternal: plugins
should not have a 'lib' prefix: "libaudiocd_encoder_vorbis.so"
systemsettings(18396)/kdecore (KLibrary) findLibraryInternal: plugins
should not have a 'lib' prefix: "libaudiocd_encoder_wav.so"
"Warning: You do not seem to have the base GStreamer plugins installed.
           All audio and video support has been disabled"
"Warning: You do not seem to have the base GStreamer plugins installed.
           All audio and video support has been disabled"
Phonon::GStreamer::Backend: Failed to initialize GStreamer

[1] http://www.mandrivauser.de/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=29729

still dragonplayer and most other kde using applications (which use
phonon) will crash. still searching for an solution.

regards,
joachim