[Nix-dev] commercial license

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 02:00:47 CET 2012

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 17, 2012 at 4:59 PM, Marc Weber <marco-oweber at gmx.de> wrote:
> I'd force the user to set a config option like this:
>
> ~/.nixpkgs/config.nix:
> {
>   proprietary-licenses-accept.your-package = true;
> }
>
> and only allow installing the software if this is enabled.
> At least this requires attention from the users..
>
> I'm not a lawayer..

I will suggest something stupid.

But old games ensured that you bought the game by asking you to copy a
piece from the license agreement.  Such as copying the word number 6
from section 3, paragraph 4.
I feel like using the same technique and comparing with a hash of the
word would be more insightful from a lawyer perspective, because you
have to find the license terms to answer the question.

The binary choice does not imply that the person as got a chance to
read the license before.  How many times have you checked the box
without reading the terms of the license?

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/