[Nix-dev] fetchgit - why sha256 protection?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Nov 19 12:22:02 CET 2012

Excerpts from Eelco Dolstra's message of Mon Nov 19 11:36:00 +0100 2012:
> No.  "fetchgit" won't work if it's not a fixed-output derivation, because it
> won't necessarily have network access (it might run in a chroot).
Again: I'm not talking about the current state. I'm aware about how it
works.
I'm talking about:
"Does it make sense to introduce a special fixed hash for git repos" or
"what about implementing git checkouts natively so that passing the
git's hash is enough"?
git sources are very common today.

Marc Weber