[Nix-dev] end-of-life kernels

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viric at viric.name
Mon Nov 19 15:55:38 CET 2012

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 03:37:45PM +0100, Eelco Dolstra wrote:
> Hi,

> >> Stdenv has "--enable-kernel=2.6.35".
> >
> > Do you favour a higher value?
>
> Is there a good reason for a higher value?  Certainly it can't be higher than
> 3.2 since that's our default kernel.  And of course people may well want to run
> Nixpkgs on Linux distributions that have much older kernels.

There is a reason for one higher than the current trunk value: performance
(fstatat implemented in kernel, instead of a userland trick).

Whether there is a reason for a value *over 2.6.35*, I don't know any now, but
it may very well be the same, performance. A glance at glibc code enabled after
2.6.35 should give an idea.

Regards,
Lluís.