[Nix-dev] fetchgit - why sha256 protection?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Nov 19 15:47:18 CET 2012

> A similar solution for rubygems would probably not be too hard.
> As rubygems itself is written in ruby, you can probably plug in to its
> dependency resolution and downloading capabilities so you can focus on
> generating the sha256 and the nix expression.
If you still haven't got it: I worte nixpkgs-ruby-overlay which already
does it. I also wrote hack-nix packaging all hackage - and I did so
after having disregarder a 80% working attempt doing it the nodejs
way.
I'm looking for packaging fast changing dev versions of
packages. And then I don't want to wait for any double fetches. I want
to give code a try.
I know what I want and why.

I accept that the nix community eventually things differently about
this. So this may just end up being another patch in my github repos.

Maybe I have to use standard ubuntu distribution cause cause I may not
have time to finish all this in time (yet)

Marc Weber