[Nix-dev] [NixOS] 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts

Rickard Nilsson rickard.nilsson at telia.com
Fri Oct 5 19:11:26 CEST 2012

Hi,

I know this has been discussed before, but today I ran into a problem
again that was caused by the fact that NixOS adds the row "127.0.0.1
${hostName} ${hostName}.${domain}" to /etc/hosts.

I had configured my nfsd service (rpc.nfsd) to listen on the ip of its own
hostname, but since that it set to 127.0.0.1 in /etc/hosts, rpc.nfsd bound
only to the local interface, making nfs mounts from clients impossible.

Is there some particular motivation behind the /etc/hosts generation? Why
should the hostname always be mapped to 127.0.0.1? I think it is wrong,
simply.

Best regards,
   Rickard Nilsson