[Nix-dev] Update on distro bootstrapping with Guix

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Fri Oct 5 19:56:52 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 05/10/12 12:05, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> There’s no GCC wrapper.  Instead, GCC’s default spec strings are
> modified to match our file system layout.

Cool.  Do you think getting rid of the GCC wrapper would be feasible for
Nixpkgs?  (Probably not...)

> GMP/MPFR/MPC as built as part of the GCC build process, instead of being
> built separately, which is an appreciable simplification.

Hm yes :-)  Is this a feature of the GCC build process (like the libstdc++
build) or do you do it yourself?

> Another difference from Nixpkgs is that the initial set of bootstrap
> tools is reduced: GNU Make, Findutils, and Diffutils are lacking, and
> get built early.

How do you manage to build those packages without Make?

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/