[Nix-dev] Adding xfce4 panel plugins

Eelco Dolstra eelco.dolstra at logicblox.com
Fri Oct 12 01:32:04 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 11/10/12 18:42, Eduard Carreras i Nadal wrote:

> How can I do that xfce4-panel uses /run/current-system/sw/ as a prefix instead
> of its own prefix?

In panel/panel-module-factory there is a line

> #define PANEL_PLUGINS_DATA_DIR     (DATADIR G_DIR_SEPARATOR_S "panel" G_DIR_SEPARATOR_S "plugins")

which could be patched to /run/current-system/sw/lib/xfce4/panel/plugins.
Similarly for PANEL_PLUGINS_LIB_DIR in panel/panel-module.c.

However, a much cleaner solution would be to make the panel use $XDG_DATA_DIRS
for finding the *.desktop files of the plugins.  That would be more general
because it would allow users to have their own plugins in their home directories
(so upstream might be willing to accept/implement something like this).  It's
also consistent with the way *.desktop files for applications are found in
share/applications relative to $XDG_DATA_DIRS.

--
Eelco Dolstra | LogicBlox, Inc. | http://nixos.org/~eelco/