[Nix-dev] Picking a GHC version to use

Vladimír Čunát vcunat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 17:39:09 CET 2012

On 10/30/2012 05:29 PM, Richard Wallace wrote:
> Ok, I guess I'm just not sure how to specify the compiler version.
> When I ran `nix-env -qa | grep cabal-dev` after adding the .nix file
> and modifying haskell-packages.nix, I saw something like 6
> cabal-dev-0.9.1 possibilities.  I figured that those were different
> derivations, but didn't know how to see more information about the
> derivations or how to pick a specific one.

When you add -P to nix-env -qa, you will also see attribute paths. These
can be installed by adding -A to nix-env -i (the attr-paths are unique
and their resolution is also quicker than by name).

Some people also define things like "h = haskellPackagesXYZ" in their
~/.nix-defexpr/, so they can install stuff like "nix-env -iA h.pandoc".
You can also create there some named favorite-package sets, e.g. those
that you want to upgrade often, etc.

Vlada