[Nix-dev] Nix profiles

Richard Wallace rwallace at thewallacepack.net
Tue Oct 30 21:34:07 CET 2012

I'm still trying to get to grips with a few things about nix, but it's
getting much clearer and I definitely like what I see so far.

My next question is about profile management.  There is `nix-env
--switch-profile` to switch from one profile to another, but I don't
see a way to list available profiles or create new ones.  The latter
one is the more puzzling.  Finding profiles can be done by looking in
the /nix/var/nix/profiles/ directory.  But I have no idea how to
create new profiles.  I thought maybe if I used `nix-env
--switch-profile /nix/var/nix/profiles/new-profile` I would be in a
new profile (maybe clean, maybe based on the one I was switching from)
and could start adding packages.  Unfortunately, that just created a
link from ~/.nix-profile to a non-existent directory.

How do you go about creating new profiles with nix?

Thanks,
Rich